The Legal Matters


The lega vows:

I am duly authorised by law to solemnise marriages according to law. Before you are joined in marriage in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter.

Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of two people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.

Both parties must be at least 18 years of age.
At least two people over the age of 18 must be present to witness the marriage Ceremony.

  • The Notice Of Intended Marriage form must be completed by the Celebrant and the couple at least one calendar month and one day (and not more than eighteen months) prior to the date of the Ceremony.
  • If born in Australia, a birth certificate (official extracts, not copies) must be produced. If either part was born outside Australia a foreign birth certificate or a valid overseas passport will be accepted however if these are in another language, they must be officially translated into English.
  • If either party has been previously married, evidence of either a Decree Absolute or Death Certificate must be produced
  • Declaration – both parties must sign a declaration stating that they know of no legal impediment to their marriage.
  • Legally required wording to be stated by the Celebrant (Monitum) and the couple. Each of the couple must say “I call upon the persons here present to witness that I …. take you …. to be my lawfully wedded wife/husband
  • The couple, two witnesses and the Celebrant must sign the three (3) marriage certificates.

A  Marriage cannot be solemnised unless:
The Notice Of Intended Marriage has been given to the Celebrant at least one month (and no longer than 18 months) prior to the date of the Ceremony

  • Evidence of the date & place of the birth of both parties has been produced to the Celebrant
  • And each party has made a Declaration as to his or her belief that there is no legal impediment to the Marriage

    I am happy to answer any questions you may have  about  the necessary paperwork and all legalities. Email me for a free consultation !